If you are a Kivalliq business struggling with the challenges of the COVID-19 Pandemic, please check out these resources:
- Government of Nunavut COVID-19 Updates and Resources – www.gov.nu.ca
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan – https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html
- Health Canada’s COVID-19 Information Page – https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html
The Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce (KCC) is a registered society made up of members of the Kivalliq business community and other business stakeholders. The role of the Chamber is to act as an advocate on behalf of the Kivalliq business community, to interact with other Chambers for the good of the broader business environment, and to assist government and other organizations in the delivery and assessment of programs and support services related to the economy and business community of the Kivalliq Region.
The Chamber is largely made up of local businesses, many of them small businesses, and other stakeholders. Additionally, the seven municipalities of the Kivalliq Region are associate members. The membership biannually elects an executive and board at the annual general meeting.
The Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce (KCC) was incorporated in 1979, and celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2019. This is an important achievement made possible through the dedication of its members. Today, we are still able to advocate and push for the Kivalliq business community because of their commitment.
The 2019 Kivalliq Energy Forum
In December 2019, the Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce hosted the first Kivalliq Energy Forum in Rankin Inlet. This event brought together businesses, government, regulatory agencies, and community representatives to learn about opportunities, resources, and technology that can help meet the growing energy needs of the north in a sustainable and environmentally-friendly manner.
More information and the final report is available at https://www.kivalliqenergyforum.ca/. There is strong interest in another Kivalliq Energy Forum, and the KCC plans to host another event as soon as it is safe to do so.
The Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce is also a partner (with the Baffin Regional Chamber of Commerce) in delivering the bi-annual Northern Perspectives conference (https://northperspectives.com/). Held in Winnipeg every two years, Northern Perspectives has the goal of bringing together businesses from across the north with the business community in Manitoba to learn about and explore business and cultural opportunities for growth, exchange, and learning.
The 2019 Northern Perspectives conference was held successfully in February 2019 at the Winnipeg Art Gallery. While the 2021 Northern Perspectives conference is postponed indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the KCC looks forward to the time when we can once again host this event in Winnipeg.
Vision, Mission, and Values
Vision – A strong and dynamic economic climate for the betterment of the Kivalliq business community.
Mission – Advocate to governments and other relevant bodies on matters important to the development of a strong and dynamic economic climate in the Kivalliq region.
- Working together
- Care for the environment
Official Airline of the Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce
Are you a Kivalliq-based business? Do you do business in the Kivalliq?
Or do you work to support the business community in the Kivalliq Region?
If you answer yes to any of the above, we invite you to become a member of the Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce!
Membership in the Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce is an affordable way to connect with the business community in the Kivalliq and beyond. Membership has the following benefits:
- A forum to discuss and advocate for issues affecting the Kivalliq business community.
- Communications and collaboration with our neighbour chambers, the Kitikmeot Chamber of Commerce and the Baffin Regional Chamber of Commerce, the NWT/NU Chamber of Mines, and the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce.
- Access to early information and registration for Chamber-sponsored events such as Northern Perspectives and the Kivalliq Energy Forum.
- Via the KCC’s membership, access to select benefits from the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, including their Chamber Business Services Program and all CCC events, with more exciting linkages and opportunities to come as part of the Chamber 2025 process.
- Access to our flight promo code with Calm Air, offering discounted rates on travel.
- Ability to participate in AGM and submit resolutions.
If you’re interested in becoming a member, and helping both our Chamber and the Kivalliq business community grow, please apply for membership today!
We are also actively recruiting new board members from among our membership. If you’re interested in getting involved with a growing and important Chamber of Commerce in the Kivalliq, this might be an opportunity for you.
For more information about how to become a member, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Board of Directors
- President: Patrick Tagoona
- Vice President: Anthony Tootoo
- Secretary Treasurer: Shawn Lester
- Past President: Glenn McLean
- Director: Tara Tootoo-Fotheringham
- Director: Laura Solberg
- Director: Lonny Syvret
For more information or to become a member, contact email@example.com or 867-645-4584.