The Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce (KCC) is a registered society made up of members of the Kivalliq business community and other regional stakeholders. The Chamber’s role is threefold:
- Act as an advocate on behalf of the Kivalliq business community
- Interact with other Chambers in the North and across the country for the good of the Kivalliq business environment
- Assist government and other organizations in the delivery and assessment of programs and support services related to the economy and business community of the Kivalliq Region
The Chamber is largely comprised of local businesses, many of them small businesses, as well as other stakeholders, including the seven Kivalliq Region municipalities, who participate as Associate Members. The membership biannually elects an executive and Board of Directors at the Annual General Meeting.
KCC was incorporated in 1979 and will celebrate its 45th anniversary in 2024. This important achievement has been made possible through the dedication of KCC’s members and stakeholders. Today, KCC continues to advocate and push for the interests of the Kivalliq business community. This is done through the work of a volunteer board and a part time executive director. At present, KCC’s ability to deliver additional value to its members, and its impact upon the Kivalliq Region and Nunavut are limited by its available resources.
The Kivalliq Energy Forum
In December 2019, the Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce hosted the first Kivalliq Energy Forum in Rankin Inlet. This event brought together businesses, government, regulatory agencies, and community representatives to learn about opportunities, resources, and technology that can help meet the growing energy needs of the north in a sustainable and environmentally-friendly manner.
The second Kivalliq Energy Forum was held in December, 2022. More information and the final reports on these events are available at https://www.kivalliqenergyforum.ca/.
The next Kivalliq Energy Forum is scheduled for February 26th – 29th, 2024, in Winnipeg, to be held in conjunction with the 2024 Northern Perspectives Trade Show & Conference at the Winnipeg Art Gallery. Contact us at email@example.com to be added to the mailing list to keep up to date on these and other events!
The Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce is also a partner (with the Baffin Regional Chamber of Commerce) in delivering the bi-annual Northern Perspectives conference (https://northperspectives.com/). Held in Winnipeg every two years, Northern Perspectives has the goal of bringing together businesses from across the north with the business community in Manitoba to learn about and explore business and cultural opportunities for growth, exchange, and learning. The 2019 Northern Perspectives conference was held successfully in February 2019 at the Winnipeg Art Gallery.
The 2024 Northern Perspectives Trade Show & Conference is scheduled for February 26th – 29th, 2024, in Winnipeg, MB, at the Winnipeg Art Gallery. Visit https://northperspectives.com/ for more information, and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the mailing list for updates as they become available.
Vision, Mission, and Values
The Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce’s Vision, Mission, and Values were updated as part of our recent Strategic Plan:
Vision – KCC is the effective leading voice of the Kivalliq business community and contributes to a strong and dynamic economic climate for the long-term betterment of the Kivalliq business community.
Mission – Advocate to governments and other bodies on matters important to facilitate the development of a strong, sustainable, and dynamic economic climate in the Kivalliq region.
- Integrity – The Chamber adheres to the highest ethical standards and strives to build trust among our members, the communities we live in, and other stakeholders
- Respect – Chamber activities show respect for the viewpoints of all our members, staff, and external stakeholders
- Self-reliance – We advocate for an economic climate that rewards businesses and entrepreneurs that demonstrate self-reliance, initiative, and innovation within the marketplace
- Working together – Our Board, members, and staff work together and in collaboration with external stakeholders to improve the business environment and the communities in which we live and work
- Sustainability – The Chamber promotes economic activities that lead to long-term economic growth and improvements in the quality of life of Kivalliq residents while protecting the environment
- Transparency – The Chamber conducts business in an open, candid, and accountable manner
- Environmental Stewardship – The Chamber supports economic activities that minimize environmental degradation and acknowledge the need to preserve the natural environment for future generations of Nunavummiut.
Official Airline of the Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce
Are you a Kivalliq-based business? Do you do business in the Kivalliq?Or do you work to support the business community in the Kivalliq Region?
If you answer yes to any of the above, we invite you to become a member of the Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce!
Membership in the Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce is an affordable way to connect with the business community in the Kivalliq and beyond. Membership has the following benefits:
- A forum to discuss and advocate for issues affecting the Kivalliq business community.
- Communications and collaboration with our neighbour chambers, the Kitikmeot Chamber of Commerce and the Baffin Regional Chamber of Commerce, the NWT/NU Chamber of Mines, and the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce.
- Access to early information and registration for Chamber-sponsored events such as Northern Perspectives and the Kivalliq Energy Forum.
- Via the KCC’s membership, access to select benefits from the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, including their Chamber Business Services Program and all CCC events, with more exciting linkages and opportunities to come as part of the Chamber 2025 process.
- Access to our flight promo code with Calm Air, offering discounted rates on travel.
- Ability to participate in AGM and submit resolutions.
If you’re interested in becoming a member, and helping both our Chamber and the Kivalliq business community grow, please apply for membership today!
We are also actively recruiting new board members from among our membership. If you’re interested in getting involved with a growing and important Chamber of Commerce in the Kivalliq, this might be an opportunity for you.
For more information about how to become a member, please contact us at email@example.com
Board of Directors
For 2023-24, the Kivalliq Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors consists of:
- President: Patrick Tagoona (Nunavut Investments, Ltd.)
- Vice-President: Anthony Tootoo (Top-Notch Services/AV Nunavut Fuels Inc.)
- Vice-President: Tara Tootoo-Fotheringham (Arctic Buying Company)
- Secretary-Treasurer: Shawn Lester (Lester Landau)
- Past President: Glenn McLean (Arctic Fuels)
- Director: Eitan Dehtiar (Peter’s Expediting Ltd.)
- Director: Lonny Syvret (Agnico Eagle Mines)
For more information or to become a member, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 867-645-4584.